At the Buzzer was nominated for the Lovely Blog Award! I’d like to thank all the people who made this possible, but first, some boring back story.
Once upon a time, the three of us got together and started this podcast with dreams and aspirations. We were going to be the biggest show on all of radio, we thought. Forget those huge podcasts like Adam Carolla and The Nerdist and The Sports Guy — it was our time to shine.
Now, Carolla still has a few more listeners than we do, but that doesn’t mean we’re giving up. Far from it. It’s now been almost a year since we made the switch to weekly episodes and daily posting on the blog, and we’ve built up a solid audience since then. Hell, we’re right on the cusp of 40,000 hits (which will bring along another video when it happens).
If nothing else, the one lesson I can teach you from all this is that consistent posting is extremely important when trying to get new readers/listeners to join the fun. There’s a ton of content out there on the internet, and even if somebody happens to like what you post, if you disappear for a week or two they might not be there when you get back. As long as you enjoy writing, keep at it — not only will you improve at your craft, but you’ll probably grab more readers along the way.
Cary from Recollections of Play sent this award our way, so we send back our thanks. She also has become our most frequent contributor of letters and comments for our Buzz In segment, which means she’s more awesome than you are and you should step up your game if you want to compete. You know how parents say they don’t have a favorite child? That’s a bunch of bull, and if your folks told you that, you were probably the least favorite.
There are some stipulations that come with this award, and they go a little something like this:
- Thank the person who nominated you and link back to them in your post
- Share 7 things about yourself
- Nominate 15 bloggers you admire
- Leave a comment on each of these blogs letting them know they’ve been nominated
Okay, I’ve got the first one covered already. The second one is going to be seven things about Chris, because whenever you see “At the Buzzer” post, it’s secretly him. Speaking of which…
1) Whenever you see “At the Buzzer” post, it’s secretly me. That means I’m posting and commenting on two different accounts. I know, it’s crazy.
2) I haven’t talked about it much here, but in the last year or so I’ve been big on watching fighting game tournaments. It’s kinda like watching sports, but with a video game spin. Team Spooky is the place to go if you’re interested.
3) The new hotness at the ATB apartment is co-op board games like Last Night on Earth, Arkham Horror and Castle Panic.
4) I’m pretty sure I made an awful career choice going into journalism and newspapers.
5) I can say without shame that like Shaun, I’m a top Yugioh duelist. I even liked the cartoon, melodramatic and awful though it may be. It helps when you add on to the plot with your imagination (for example, Seto Kaiba kills hookers when he’s finished with them and stuffs them in his company’s basement).
6) When I was 5 years old, I refused to eat anything but peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. This lasted for about a year. If I die before the age of 40, I’m going to blame that year.
7) There’s an outside chance that we have a pretty big announcement coming up for the show in the near future. Stay tuned.
All right, two down. Next up is nominating other blogs for their sterling work and dedication. Supposedly I just list them off, but I figured I’d include a short bit on what they’re about as well. So here we go:
- Recollections of Play (see above)
- Couch Side Show (a sports podcast/site run by a friend of mine from college)
- Little Sister Gaming (covered on the site previously)
- Population GO (a great pop culture news aggregate)
- It’s Great, It’s Fun, It’s English Village! (Molly’s adventures in Korea)
- lisagoestomarket (a first-person look at life and love)
- Extending the Fantasy (all about music from video games, esp. Final Fantasy)
- Cholisose! (good posts on manga and anime)
- Wrestle Slamming (a relatively new blog that covers the WWE)
- Discovering Kohppa (about MMOs, RPGs and more)
- J.W. Eberle (on writing, photography and a love of typewriters)
- Pixel Bubble (an intelligent take on video games)
- Playing the Canon (an in-depth exploration of beloved titles)
- Rack Focus (a movie review blog you might recognize)
- vinnylanni (games, sports, life philosophies and more)
You know, come to think of it, I should have made Dave and Shaun do five picks of their own and cut my own work down! Damn it!
Anyway, thanks to everyone who listens to the podcast or checks out the blog. Originally the site was set up just as a place to host the show, but it’s evolved into being a regular place for content as well. We hope you keep coming back and enjoying the nonsense we put up here, and as always, if you have anything you want to see or any questions for us, let us know!